
Election '08 over, and Senator Obama is our winner. Since I'm sure all voting is over, I'll now say that I actually backed McCain as he seemed like the one "least likely" to move our recession-esque economy any deeper, most likely to keep unemployment "lower" by keeping business taxes low, and "least likely" to destroy the free market health care (as Obama claims he will "force insurance companies to accept everyone, for lower premiums and without regard to pre-existing conditions"... which, from what I've learned through my insurance studies toward my license, are concepts that could potentially make it so insurance companies can't pull a profit, which is a problem since they're in it for the jobs and pay as well.)
That being said, "Congrats Senator Obama!" The country has spoken, and he really has some great direction in some other areas. Though I don't really buy the claim that he's going to be a "tax cutter" (see past tax issue voting history...) I must say I didn't believe McCain would be as "pro alternative/renewable energy" as he implied. That's where Obama shines. He's for the extension of current renewable energy tax credits (awesome) and our best bet for getting the affordable electric car. His take on foreign policy is also quite different from the Bush years, which will prove good in some areas though the conservative pundits seem to have written him off as a "softy" when it comes to terrorism and dealing with our not so good friends around the world. Barring major international disasters (which I don't think are very likely anyways,) I think the change is fresh and will most likely be good for the country.
For those of you who backed Obama, good eye. You who backed McCain as I did, too bad. Now we all just have to make sure we don't hold anything against our new president as that would really be pointless. Sure, they're different, but neither is without their good points. Keep your ideals if you want, but let's do all we can with the new opportunities that honestly wouldn't have happened under McCain.
As for me, I'll keep working on that life/health insurance license anyways. Current research has also taken me into the wide world of induction motors, and their usage as generators. Wind energy is still in the planning for me (T Boone has the right idea, despite his personal, sizable financial interest in compressed natural gas...he's still cool, and who can blame him for trying to make a lot of money by tapping us into a massive US supply of "cleaner/cheaper than gasoline" natural gas and breaking us from the party being thrown in our honor by OPEC and crew.) My environmental rantings will come in a subsequent blog entry.
Emily and Brian are the winners in this week's contest for actually reading my blog. Someday, I may try to put some fun things on here like a quiz with real prizes. Actually, for you guys who aren't scared to say (..why?) who you voted for, feel free to comment here with that info and a short why. It would be interesting to see...and nice to no longer have to debate or defend the positions since that would be a waste of time. I'm happy this election is finally over.
No comments:
Post a Comment