
I've recently become a fan of a "green" channel on cable, and probably not for the exact same reasons most others have. Half the time I find myself laughing at the "crazy environmentalists" who are over the top in my opinion, but maybe they've got a point. Yes, saving the world is always a good thing, though I think it can be done without having a creepy beard, going vegan, and wearing clothes reminiscent of Woodstock. That is a massive stereo type, I know, but if you've been following at least a few of these "environmental" type shows...you know what I mean. That said, I think it's cool when people are out there living what they believe, dreadlocks and all. It is also noted that most folks probably find themselves somewhere between those who drink crude oil by the barrel while kicking crying baby polar bears and the above mentioned, free-spirited guardians of Gaia ("With your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"). I know I'm there...in between; occasionally giving a fluffy Coke mascot a hug and a block of ice after buying some bottled water and forgetting to toss it in the blue bin afterwards.
Global warming: a hot topic. Climate change: the same thing. No matter what the Democrat and Republican machines may have tried to teach you...they're really about the same, except it should be noted that the general Democrat swing is that "Global Warming" is the proper term and puts a heavy emphasis on Man's role played in firing up the greenhouse oven, while the Republican twist is generally that "Climate Change" is the phrase of the day, with emphasis shifted more heavily to the idea that the Earth goes through temperature shifts naturally. I don't think either side would completely discount the point made by the other, as long as they're thinking as I am. Global warming or climate change (pick your poison) are both happening as I see it. I think the Earth goes through temperature swings (see Ice Age...actually, don't since it was just a horrible movie) and that our burning of hydrocarbons and shooting up pollution at a level higher than we ever have is also warming up the globe. Really. Did the ice age end because the woolly mammoths stopped car pooling, shunned Trax and torched everything in sight? You'll never again look at Snuffy quite the same way (sorry Big Bird.) Now, does anyone believe our pumping of CO2 and other gasses/pollutants/particulates into the atmosphere will have no effect on the balance this planet maintains? Most agree that breathing in the exhaust directly from a tail pipe is a risky venture, and maybe some think that it's a huge sky, so fresh air is just a breeze away and that nature will work it all out. For those folks, I just ask if having a designated "peeing corner" in a swimming pool keeps the other three corners crystal clear. All said, I think the planet does go through temperature swings and that we are doing damage through pollution as well. Since I have yet to receive clearance to focus my powers on making some minor adjustments to the Earth's tilt/rotation/orbit around the sun...I must be content with minimizing my pollution where possible and realistic.
A while now I've talked about getting into the wind farming business, and I'm sticking with the plan. Getting my electricity by letting the wind blow and spin a rotor rather than burning coal to boil water to spin turbines...I like the first one, so I don't have to keep shoveling coal. Hydroelectric is pretty cool too. There are all sorts of debates about the environmental ethics of putting a dam on a river to make a reservoir and using that backed up water to make electricity. I like boating and fishing, both of which are also to be had at a reservoir, so it's okay to me. Geothermal is another source of energy, where heat from within the Earth is used to make the steam to spin out some watts, though it's probably the one about which I know the least. Everyone knows solar (if not, look it up, as it's really cool too.)
Now to explain the picture on this post. That used to be a motorcycle, believe it or not. Yes, it has three wheels: two new ones in front and the original motorcycle driving one behind. The rest of the car is made up of basic metal frame work and most surfaces are composed of dual fiberglassed high-density foam. It seats two and still gets relatively the same mileage as the original motorcycle (around 40-50 mpg.) I'd like to build one of these sometime...when I have time. There are also some other "modify/build it yourself" cars out there, including many plans for taking a small, stripped down chassis of another car and turning it into a light-weight electric zero emission vehicle. Yet other plans use a sort of electric/diesel hybrid concept much simpler than Prius systems (in these, a small 20 hp diesel engine is the main drive power source for two of the wheels while a separate system on the other axle is an electric rig to simply add some push while accelerating heavily, as from a stand still.) Some claim systems like these can get nearly 100 mpg or better (...I question...though I'd cheerfully accept a disappointing 70 mpg.)
Well, that's about the end of my green issues. I like renewable energy and electric/very fuel efficient cars. Steak tastes great, and I don't think oil is evil. There are alternatives out there, so we really don't have an excuse for why the mass production electric car isn't here yet...or why it won't be here tomorrow. To me, the label "organic" just means it costs more and is usually smaller (though not worse, maybe better tasting, maybe better for you...sheesh, get off my back!) Buy a bike and look into public transportation. That's enough for today. Have fun kids!
2 comments:
organic means, smaller, pricer, and tastes worse... haven't you ever bought one of those unsweetened, 12 oz., organic orange juices that sell for three dollars a pop. They taste like the orange trees urine.
Where is your wind farm going to be? I'll farm wind with you. We can sit back on our rocking chairs, on the porch, with toothpicks in our mouths and have conversations like, "sure is some wind today."
Post a Comment